We explored nvPY, an unofficial Simplenote client in one of our earlier articles. Simplenote announced an official rich native client for Ubuntu with many more capabilities. Those who are looking for an Evernote alternative on Linux should definitely try it out.
The client is built in React and Electron. Looks simple yet beautiful.
- Markdown support
- History: drag the History slider to view previous versions
- Collaboration: share notes with others and allow them to edit
- Publishing: make notes public with its own URL
- Tags: organize notes effectively with tags
- Pinning: pin notes right from the note list so they’re easy to find
- Light and dark themes
- Open source and free
Most of the features in the clients for other platforms are already available.
Download the package for Ubuntu from the official website (linked below) and run:
$ sudo dpkg -i simplenote-version.deb