Tiling window managers have a great feature, they can automatically time windows to provide you the best experience. However, the minimal tiling window managers may not be the choice of everyone. x-tile is a GTK utility to try out for arranging windows.
x-tils shows you a list of all open windows and allows you to arrange them by selection. It’ quite useful when you need to multitask, e.g., you are watching a video and reading the news on the browser side by side.
- many tiling geometries, custom tiling layout
- undo tiling
- invert tiling order
- optional system tray docking and menu
- filter to avoid listing some windows
- filter to check some windows by default
- command line interface
- works with gnome, kde, xfce, lxde and any other DE supporting GTK
To install x-tile on Ubuntu, run the following commands:
$ sudo apt-get install x-tile