After Ethernet and Wi-Fi, scientists have come up with Li-Fi. The working principle is very simple: blinking LED lights can work as signals with different meanings and the signals can be fed into a bunch of LED lights by a single controller.
All digital data is binary in nature. The ON state of a LED signifies 1 and the OFF state 0. That’s the base of this innovation. Li-FI is the successor and optical version of today’s Wi-Fi wireless transmission technology. Light travels very fast and LEDs come cheap. Li-Fi is approximately 100 times faster than WiFi.
The concept of Li-Fi is not new, scientists were working for years. However, this is a major breakthrough. It was tested in an office by Estonian start-up Velmenni, in Tallinn.
- It can achieve 10Gbps speed theoretically, which means you can download HD movies in 30 seconds!
- Low cost LEDs used as building blocks
- Fast and simple principle of transmission
- Li-Fi bandwidth is 10,000 times that of radio waves
- Buy a suitable Li-Fi LED lighting (transmitter)
- Add Li-Fi key to device to connect