I had been exploring various cmdline based utilities under the tag useful cli tools. There are some among those which I need and use regularly. Here’s an alphabetical list of those tools with links to the relevant articles where I explored them. I have intentionally ignored tools like vim, git etc. which are very well-known.
- aria2: download manager
- take_backup.sh: my own simple script to backup and restore modified scripts
- boa: lightweight http server to share files over the internet or LAN
- colormake: colourful make output to easily detect errors
- ctags/cscope: utilities for browsing code projects
- maim/slop: take screenshots
- mencoder/avconv: multimedia transcoding
- ncdu: disk usage analyzer
- newsbeuter: RSS news feed reader
- note: note manager with encryption
- parted: partition manager
- patool: one tool to handle all compressed files
- pushd/popd: easy directory navigation
- remindme: my own one shot reminder using at and zenity
- reptyr: move programs between terminals
- rtorrent: download torrents and magnets
- undistract-me: get notified on long-command completion
- watch: automatically repeat a command
- wcalc: powerful scientific calculator
- xtrlock: lock the system with or without live desktop view
Here’s an earlier list of GUI tools I regularly use.
Which one of these do you use? Got any suggestions I should check out?