This post covers the utilities those start with O. Part of the useful ubuntu utility glossary series.
- obfsproxy (Netoworking) : A tool that attempts to circumvent censorship, by transforming the Tor traffic between the client and the bridge. This way, censors, who usually monitor traffic between the client and the bridge, will see innocent-looking transformed traffic instead of the actual Tor traffic.
- obnam (Python Programming Language) : Online (via SSH SFTP) and disk based backup application. Supports snapshot backups, data de-duplication, encrypted backups and push or pull operations.
- ocrfeeder (Graphics) : A document layout analysis and optical character recognition system.
- ocrdjvu (Word Processing) : Performs OCR on DJVU docs.
- octopussy (Networking) : Log analyzer, alerter & reporter with Web interface. Features include:
LDAP supported for Octopussy Users & Contacts
Send Alerts by Email, IM(Jabber), NSCA(Nagios) & Zabbix_sender
Export Reports by Email, FTP & SCP
Create Map to show your architecture
Input & Output Plugins for Reports
‘RRDTool’ to graph syslog activity
Many popular services already supported (bind, iptables, nagios, linux kernel and many more…)
Wizard to easily create new Message/Service for Unrecognized logs
Online Updates for Services, Tables & Multilanguage
- ogmrip (Graphics) : Rip and encode DVD into AVI, OGM, MP4, or Matroska files using a wide variety of codecs. It relies on mplayer, mencoder, ogmtools, mkvtoolnix, mp4box, oggenc, lame, and faac to perform its tasks.
- ohcount (Utilities) : Source code line counter. Supports over 70 popular programming languages. Ohcount does more than just count lines of code. It can also detect popular open source licenses such as GPL within a large directory of source code. It can also detect code that targets a particular programming API, such as Win32 or KDE.
- olive (Networking) : console mode RSS newsreader. It provides a chronological rather than site-oriented view of news stories and tries to stay out of your way as much as possible.
- omt (World Wide Web) : OpaL Mirror Tool is a program written in perl to mirror web pages or download files from the web. It has the powerful ability to rewrite the content of the pages to make a fully functional mirror and the user can specify additional rewrite rules at the command line.
- oneko (Games and Amusement) : A cat (neko) chases the cursor (now a mouse) around the screen.
- onioncat (Communication) : Creates a transparent IP layer on top of Tor hidden services. It transparently transmits any kind of IP-based data through the Tor network on a location hidden basis. You can think of it as a point-to-multipoint VPN between hidden services.
- openonnect (Networking) : Open client for Cisco AnyConnect VPN.
- openrocket (Science) : Full featured model rocket simulator.
- openshot (Video software) : Advanced video editor.
- openteacher (Miscellaneous – Text Based) : learn a foreign language.
- openvas (Networking) : OpenVAS Security Scanner is a security auditing tool. It makes possible to test security modules in an attempt to find vulnerable spots that should be fixed.
- ophcrack(-cli) (System Administration) : Microsoft Windows password cracker using rainbow tables. Works for Windows NT/ 2000/ XP/ Vista/ 7.
- oping (Networking) : Uses ICMP packages (better known as “ping packets”) to test the reachability of network hosts. It supports pinging multiple hosts in parallel using IPv4 and/or IPv6 transparently.
- oprofile(-gui) (Development) : Performance profiling tool for Linux systems, capable of profiling all running code at low overhead. It consists of a daemon for collecting sample data, plus several post-profiling tools for turning data into information.
- optipng (Graphics) : a PNG optimizer that recompresses image files to a smaller size, without losing any information. This program also converts external formats (BMP, GIF, PNM and TIFF) to optimized PNG, and performs PNG integrity checks and corrections.
- oregano (GNOME Desktop Environment) : GNOME application for schematic capture and printing of electronic circuits. It can simulate the circuits using Gnucap, ng-spice or Berkeley spice.
- osmo (Miscellaneous – Graphical) : A personal organizer, which includes calendar, task manager and address book modules.
- ostinato (Networking) : Open-source, cross-platform network packet crafter/traffic generator and analyzer with a friendly GUI. Craft and send packets of several streams with different protocols at different rates. Ostinato aims to be “Wireshark in Reverse” and become complementary to Wireshark.
- otrs (World Wide Web) : Ticket Request System with many features to manage customer telephone calls and e-mails. The system is built to allow your support, sales, pre-sales, billing, internal IT, helpdesk, etc. department to react quickly to inbound inquiries.
- owncloud(-client) (World Wide Web) : Gives you universal access to your files through a web interface or WebDAV. It also provides a platform to easily view & sync your contacts, calendars and bookmarks across all your devices and enables basic editing right on the web.