Don’t like all the bells and whistles of Firefox and looking for a leaner option? Not a fan of the new Firefox Australis UI? Though there is an extension to get back the older look and feel, why settle for less when you can get something highly optimized? We have found just the right Firefox mod for you – Pale Moon.
Though it started as a tweaked build of Firefox in Jan 2014, Pale Moon has now become a fork of the official Firefox with many optimizations at source code level and selected features for the best possible browsing speed. At the time of writing Pale Moon is based on Firefox 24 ESR code. Most of the Firefox plugins go well with Pale Moon too.
- Optimized for modern processors
- Firefox sourced: As safe as Mozilla’s flagship browser
- Supported by a friendly, active community of users
- Familiar, efficient, fully customizable interface (no Australis!)
- Smooth and speedy page drawing and script processing
- Increased stability: experience fewer browser crashes
- Support for Firefox extensions (add-ons) and themes
- Uses slightly less memory because of disabled optional code
- Support for SVG, Canvas and downloadable fonts
- Extensive support for HTML5, CSS3 and WebGL
- More customization and configuration options than Firefox
- Able to use existing Firefox profiles with the migration tool
- Supports Linux and Windows
- Open source and free
- The version of Firefox used is old
- Probably has issues with JS handling. When reply to our office mail web-interface, the receiver never gets the text.
There are 2 ways to install Pale Moon:
- Download latest pminstaller and run the script. However, this has its own dependencies and is prone to failure.
- Download the latest version (in tar.bz2 format) for your system arch and run the palemoon file after extraction.
I am using it for a while now with AdBlockPlus installed. Did not face any issues with functionality and it indeed uses lesser memory than Firefox. They also have an optimized Thunderbird mod based on the Pale Moon browser core: FossaMail.
Webpage: Pale Moon